AAQI

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Recycled Jeans Quilt


I do love to recycle old jeans! Here are stages of my latest jean project. I started with Wranglers which were too small. I cut up the side seams, inseams, and crotch seams to separate the legs from the band and pockets.
After doing this, you are left with a nice sized chunk of usable used denim which has the character of having been worn and used by working men and women. I cut this into squares of fabric, placed them right sides to wrong sides, marked a 1/4 inch on each side of the center, then stitched them together, and used the rotary cutter to cut down the center to make two half square triangles.
Press half square triangles well so they are ready for the next stage.
Then I sew the squares together to make a rectangle which will eventually be half of a square. Below you can see some finished squares. Love me some denim! Can't wait to see the finished product. Trying to decide rather or not to add sashing or just butt the squares up against each other to complete the quilt top.
To get a nice, flat seam after stitching the left and right rectangles together, I used my 30 year old, handle-less, underused rolling pin to flatten out the center seams. Worked great! When I have the quilt completed, I will post pics of the finished product.
And now I have these lovely pockets left over! I guess the leftover pockets will just necessitate the planning of another recycling project of some type in the near future! If you have any ideas about what to do with the left over jean pockets, please feel free to leave a suggestion!



  

Here is the almost finished product!  Not bad for a utility type quilt!  

No comments:

Post a Comment